Welcome To Joel Kuppersmith Long Island Couples Counseling
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith offers Long Island Couples Counseling and has more than 30 years of experience in private practice. Dr. Kuppersmith offers a comprehensive range of psychotherapy services to patients on Long Island. Dr. Kuppersmith’s range of services includes individual, marital & family therapy. He is a highly regarded psychologist who is referred to by physicians and mental health providers. He has presented papers to the American Psychological Association and to the Brookhaven National Laboratories. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is a caring and experienced therapist who has been providing psychological services and psychoanalytic therapy to the residents of Huntington, NY. He is a distinguished adjunct professor of psychology at Adelphi University where he continues to teach about the values of individual and family counseling.
Fill Out This Form For Long Island Couples Counseling
What Are The Signs Of An Unhealthy Marriage?
Marriage is a significant life decision and commitment that most people enter into with the shared goal of making it a happy and healthy union. While it’s perfectly normal for your marriage to have its emotional ebbs and flows, if your marriage is beginning to take a toll on your mental health, it may be time to reevaluate. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is a psychologist that specializes in Long Island Couples Counseling. Speaking with a professional can help you and your partner find the skills to navigate your relationship better. Continue reading to discover some of the signs of an unhealthy marriage.
Signs of an Unhealthy Marriage
Every marriage is different, and no relationship is perfect. It’s normal for a couple to experience ups and downs, but it’s important to distinguish between problems you are willing to deal with and those you are not. It can become more challenging to address issues if they start snowballing. If you are concerned that you are in an unhealthy marriage, Long Island Couples Counseling can help you and your spouse navigate your issues. Here are some warning signs that your relationship is moving into an unhealthy space:
- You’re not spending meaningful time together.
- One spouse starts controlling the other.
- You’ve stopped fighting entirely.
- You’re staying in the marriage to minimize negative impacts on your family.
- You’re seeking support from others instead of your spouse.
- You do not feel heard.
- There is a lack of physical intimacy and affection.
It can be overwhelming to realize that your marriage is not the same as it used to be. More often than not, the difference between a rough spot and the end is a couple’s willingness to work through their issues. If you and your partner are interested in salvaging the relationship, both of you need to make a concerted effort. Luckily, you don’t have to go about this on your own. Long Island Couples Counseling can help you and your partner communicate better and work through your issues.
Contact Dr. Kuppersmith
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith provides Long Island Couples Counseling to help couples strengthen their relationship and overcome issues. Working together with the help of an outside perspective can help you create opportunities for impactful change. Contact Dr. Joel Kuppersmith today to schedule an appointment!
The Signs That You May Need Couples Therapy
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith Offers Long Island Couples Counseling
Every relationship will go through periods of struggle. However, this does not mean the relationship is doomed to fail, as many couples can work out their issues together. While this may not be the ideal situation, Long Island Couples Counseling can be vital to assuage relationship tensions for long-term success. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith, an expert in couples counseling, wants to share the below signs that your relationship could benefit from counseling.
One of the most common causes that put couples in need of premarital or marital counseling in Huntington, NY is an issue with communication. When one person feels unheard or under-appreciated, this can lead to all facets of the relationship feeling broken. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith can work to re-open the lines of communication in a safe environment, which can help combat other issues as well.
Constant bickering coincides with the previously listed lack of communication. When it seems as if every conversation leads to an argument, couples counseling will help you both end this cycle. You don’t need to wait for the next big blow-up, either. Being able to see when your relationship is stuck in this rut, and seeking out counseling right away can help save the love that is still present.
Other Signs To Look For
Even if you and your loved one have been experiencing issues lately, it does not mean the relationship needs to end. Scheduling an appointment for marriage counseling sooner rather than later can help avoid a tailspin and save the relationship. If any of the below apply to your relationship, couples counseling may be on the horizon:
- Intimacy issues.
- An affair has taken place.
- You or your partner are about to make a huge life change.
- The same issues continue to arise or be brought up.
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith – Long Island Couples Counseling
The decision to partake in marriage counseling can be a difficult and somewhat uncomfortable one. However, in terms of your relationship, it can be the most important one you ever make. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith has been serving the Huntington area for over 30 years and is confident he can help you too. Through Long Island Couples Counseling, he can help you and your partner get back to the feelings of happiness you desperately want to achieve. If you’re ready to take the steps needed to save your relationship, contact us today!
Does Marriage Counseling Work?
Marriage is a wonderful and sacred bond between two people. However, it can also put tremendous stress on a couple, whether it’s relationship problems or financial issues. Without the right tending and cultivation, many marriages cannot overcome these issues leading to divorce. In fact, in the over 2 million marriages that take place in the U.S. every year, over 800,000 of them end in divorce. While this seems like a scary possibility, it’s important to take the necessary steps to avoid the reality of a failed marriage. A great way to help your marriage get back on track is to attend Long Island Couples Counseling. You may be wondering, does marriage counseling even work? Will it save your marriage?
Why You Need It
It’s important to consider the reasons why you feel your relationship has hit a snag. Some of these reasons can be attributed to:
- No resolve – while it’s good to know why there’s disagreement or animosity between a married couple, that’s only half the battle. If both can acknowledge that there’s a problem, but they don’t know how to solve it, a marriage counselor can be an unbiased party.
- Partners to roommates – when a couple starts to become more like roommates than partners, this situation can make communication, intimacy, and conversation a struggle.
- Negative communication – after communication is disrupted, it’s extremely difficult to get it going back in the right direction. Negative communication can involve one partner feeling insecure and depressed which often leads to a communication breakdown.
- Affairs – while it’s not impossible, recovering from an affair is something that takes an incredible amount of forgiveness and commitment in moving forward. If both partners are honest and dedicated to salvaging a relationship, Long Island Couples Counseling will be able to make a difference.
Marriage counseling can help your marriage in many ways and can have amazing results:
- Committed growth – Similar to avoiding your health or finances, ignoring a marriage can be catastrophic. When a couple is in therapy, it shows a commitment to growing their relationship and that they are devoted to making it work.
- Realize fears – repetitive arguments and constant disagreements are often the results of each partner’s underlying fears. Whether it’s related to financial issues, parenting, or other factors, once one realizes their insecurities, a therapist will be able to help get your marriage back to where it should be.
- Deepened connection – marriage counseling can result in open communication in a way that both partners can actually have a meaningful conversation. External factors like kids, work, and even the feeling of exhaustion after a long day, all have an effect on the relationship between a couple. A marriage counselor will be able to give a couple a chance to open up and connect with one another in an uninterrupted environment.
- Learn to move on from the past – following counseling, couples can feel as if they’re experiencing something new. With going about new habits on how to communicate and listen to one another, a couple will be able to start a better, happier journey together.
While a failing marriage may seem impossible to surmount, Long Island Couples Counseling can be the saving grace in your relationship. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is devoted to helping your marriage today and is willing to work you and your spouse through anything. For more information, contact us today!
Should I Look Into Premarital Counseling?
Before marriage, many couples opt to get counseling to help improve their relationship before heading down the aisle. Premarital counseling helps to set couples up for a more successful marriage by giving them insight into problems that they may face as a married couple as well as individualized action plans. Joel Kuppersmith PHD specializes in marriage counseling in Huntington that has helped many local couples on Long Island transition into the marital phase of their relationships. During each counseling session, couples will be asked to discuss topics that often go hand in hand with marriage. These topics can include:
- Your finances
- How you communicate
- Your beliefs
- The roles each of you play
Discussing these topics and more will assist in giving you insight on what to expect when you decide to attend marriage counseling in Huntington.
Common Reasons For Seeking Marriage Counseling in Huntington:
If you feel that you and your partner could have a more stable relationship before getting married, premarital counseling is a good idea. Here are a few other common reasons for premarital counseling:
- You’re constantly arguing about the wedding.
- You or your partner have doubts about the marriage.
- You fear marriage is not the right choice.
- Your family doesn’t like your partner or vice versa.
- Your views on intimacy do not match up with your partners.
How Can It Benefit Your Relationship?
If and when you decide as a couple you’re ready to take the first step in improving your relationship, you’ll be able to uncover issues as well as prepare your relationship for marriage with premarital counseling. By stepping into a supportive environment, created by your counselor, you’ll begin working on effectively communicating your thoughts and concerns with each other in a more positive manner.
At Joel Kuppersmith PHD, a marriage counselor in Huntington, we are dedicated to giving you and your partner the help you need in order to have a successful marriage. We realize that every relationship is different and we all have different wants and needs when it comes to who we spend our lives with. Our marriage counseling in Huntington can provide your relationship with the stability it needs to transition into a happy, healthy marriage. Contact us today!
Early Indications Of An Unhealthy Marriage
Marriage is the sacred bond between two individuals who are committing to each other long-term. In essence, it is considered the epitome of loyalty and togetherness. However, as with everything in life, it takes diligent work and constant care to keep a marriage stable and healthy. There is no blueprint to having a perfect marriage, but it can be useful to seek professional help if you’re looking to build a stronger connection with your spouse. With the help of our Huntington marriage counselor, you can begin repairing and rebuilding a prosperous relationship.
What Are The Early Signs of an Unhealthy Marriage?
Here are three common signs that your marriage may be reaching a rough stage:
Perhaps the first indication is the fact that you chose to read this blog. If this very topic tugged on your heartstrings, chances are you’re worried or feeling doubtful about your marriage which is a sign that your relationship is not in a good place. If you’re experiencing a negative feeling about your marriage, before the problem escalates, consider speaking with a Huntington marriage counselor today.
Considering Other Options
If you’ve started to evaluate your situation and feel that you may be happier with someone other than your spouse, it could be a clear sign that there is trouble in paradise.
Your Partner’s Every Move Annoys You
When you find yourself thinking that your spouses’ jokes are more irritating than funny, or if you find that his/her ritualistic behavior is a little obnoxious, you might have some unattended issues to tend to.
What are the Causes of an Unhealthy Marriage?
- Violent behavior (both men and women).
- Prolonged or repeated absences.
- Stinginess, or profligacy.
- Bad temper.
- Lying repeatedly.
- Improper parenting behavior.
- Putting another family first.
- Use of drugs.
- Irresponsibility (and unreliability, including chronic lateness).
- Secretive behavior.
- Disrespectful and rude/arrogant behavior.
- Betrayals, such as promising to have children, and then refusing.
It is important to know that some causes of an unhealthy marriage can be hard to describe and may not be listed below. If you’re in an unhealthy marriage and are desperately seeking a solution, consider speaking with a Huntington marriage counselor today and fall in love again with your spouse.
We have discussed common undertakings and suggested tips to determine better that your marriage is going in the wrong direction. Marriage counseling helps spouses recognize underline marital problems and resolve conflicts with the goal of improving the relationship beyond its current state. Counseling provides couples with the benefit of a mediator while allowing spouses the tools to communicate and negotiate more effectively and considerately. If you are looking for a Huntington marriage counselor, contact us today!
- Signs of an Unhealthy Marriage – You’re not spending meaningful time together. One spouse starts controlling the other. You’ve stopped fighting entirely. You’re staying in the marriage to minimize negative impacts on your family. You’re seeking support from others instead of your spouse.
- Exercise for Mental Health – It can distract you from intrusive negative thoughts and emotions. Exercise can take your mind off of your problems and redirect your feelings. It can decrease stress hormones. Cortisol is a stress hormone. Exercise can boost endorphins, which are your body’s natural stress and pain relievers. Exercise can improve your confidence. If you’re unhappy with your physique and want to make a change, exercise can help you tone up. This can boost your mood and confidence.
- The Benefits of Family Therapy – Family counseling aims to identify and address emotional, behavioral, or psychological issues in the family. When families seek out therapy, it is often because they are not able to resolve their conflict. Conflict can arise in any family, and many families are not well equipped to deal with these issues. Leaving these problems unresolved can lead to a crisis, and when your family reaches a crisis state, it can be detrimental to the family unit.
- Can Hobbies Help With Mental Health? – Spending time on activities you enjoy doing can improve your health and wellbeing and bring forward benefits that make them worth the time they require.