Huntington Marriage Counseling
Relationships make us human. We strive on a variety of levels for companionship and intimacy with a life partner. Inevitably, over time, conflicts arise which can intensify and interfere with the stability of the marriage. It is critical to recognize the nature and extent of these issues in order to assess whether they may continue to negatively impact the relationship. When the couple feels the need for professional assistance, couple & marital psychotherapy may be helpful. That is why you should seek out a Huntington Marriage Counselor for assistance.
The purpose and scope of treatment for the couple are to be determined during an initial consultation. I generally work with the couple on the relational issue which often underlies the presenting problem. This is not meant to minimize the conflict which brings the couple into treatment. I often find the couple will improve their level of relating and communicating with each other with continued couple therapy following the resolution of the presenting conflict.
Trust, in one form or another, is usually a fundamental issue when a couple enters marriage counseling or marital therapy. There may be current behaviors which contribute to these concerns or there may be less obvious relational trust issues which may exist below the surface and are largely unconscious but profoundly affects the level of relational trust. Both levels of mistrust need to be addressed in marriage counseling or couple therapy with a mental health professional.
There are marriages which may require individual psychotherapy for one or both spouses. If there is evidence of substance abuse, addiction, betrayal, or any behavior which could represent a marital rupture, I customarily refer to a colleague as it is, in my professional opinion, too complex a therapeutic task to work effectively with individuals while working with the marriage/couple unit. For couple therapy to be successful, the dyad must be treated as a separate entity. This does not by any means negate the importance of the two individuals. In fact, the exploration and enhanced awareness of the individual through personal psychotherapy will only improve the overall functioning of a fundamentally healthy relationship.
A couple and marital therapy can provide a qualitative positive change in the nature and experience of each person in the marriage. Although discord in the relationship initially brings a couple into therapy, the opportunities exist to improve the overall functioning of the marital unit. If you’re looking for a marriage counselor in Huntington NY, look no further!
Clinical Psychologist in Huntington, New York – Huntington Marriage Counselor
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is a licensed psychologist who has been in private practice for the past 30 years. His office is conveniently located at 177 Main Street in Huntington.
He is also a psychoanalyst, having received his post-doctoral certificate in psychotherapy and psychoanalysis at the Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies, Adelphi University. He earned his doctoral degree in Psychology at the University of Mississippi, which was followed by a post-doctoral internship offered jointly by Downstate Medical Center and South Beach Psychiatric in Brooklyn and Staten Island.
Following the completion of his academic and licensing credentials, Dr. Kuppersmith began an 11-year career working for the New York State Department of Mental Health at Kings Park Psychiatric Center. As a staff psychologist, he worked in both inpatient and outpatient services. He worked closely with psychiatrists in coordinating psychological treatment and formulating individual treatment plans.
Dr. Kuppersmith served as chairperson of the ethics committee for the Psychology Department at Kings Park Psychiatric Center. He is currently an adjunct professor of Psychology in the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program at Adelphi University. He was also an adjunct professor at Hofstra University.
Private Practice – Huntington Marriage Counselor
For the past 30 years, Dr. Kuppersmith has treated a variety of psychological problems including depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, adult children of alcoholics, insomnia, and marital/couple and family conflict. Recent developments in the theory and treatment applications in these areas have shown clinically improved outcomes.
Recent Blog Posts
Should I Look Into Premarital Counseling?
Before marriage, many couples opt to get counseling to help improve their relationship before heading down the aisle. Premarital counseling helps to set couples up for a more successful marriage by giving them insight into problems that they may face as a married couple as well as individualized action plans. Joel Kuppersmith PHD is a Huntington marriage counselor that has helped many local couples on Long Island transition into the marital phase of their relationships. During each counseling session, couples will be asked to discuss topics that often go hand in hand with marriage. These topics can include:
- Your finances
- How you communicate
- Your beliefs
- The roles each of you play
Discussing these topics and more will assist in giving you insight on what to expect when you decide to see a Huntington marriage counselor.
Common reasons for seeking a Huntington Marriage Counselor:
If you feel that you and your partner could have a more stable relationship before getting married, premarital counseling is a good idea. Here are a few other common reasons for premarital counseling:
- You’re constantly arguing about the wedding.
- You or your partner have doubts about the marriage.
- You fear marriage is not the right choice.
- Your family doesn’t like your partner or vice versa.
- Your views on intimacy do not match up with your partners.
How can it benefit your relationship?
If and when you decide as a couple you’re ready to take the first step in improving your relationship, you’ll be able to uncover issues as well as prepare your relationship for marriage with premarital counseling. By stepping into a supportive environment, created by your counselor, you’ll begin working on effectively communicating your thoughts and concerns with each other in a more positive manner.
At Joel Kuppersmith PHD, a marriage counselor in Huntington, we are dedicated to giving you and your partner the help you need in order to have a successful marriage. We realize that every relationship is different and we all have different wants and needs when it comes to who we spend our lives with. Our Huntington marriage counselor can provide your relationship with the stability it needs to transition into a happy, healthy marriage. Contact us today!
Does Marriage Counseling Work?
To have and to hold, in sickness and in health. The person that you marry is who you choose to spend the rest of your life with, working through life’s difficult moments together as a team. However, sometimes that bond can be tested and broken by seemingly insurmountable issues of financial, social, stressful, or relationship-based nature. Immediately going for divorce is never a sound decision. Not only does taking that leap instinctively leave you woefully unprepared for any proceedings to come, and leaves your family and children at risk of turmoil, but it also negates any future possibility of fixing these issues. Luckily, the methods of Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT) used in marriage counseling are now roughly 75 percent effective. Starting with a Huntington marriage counselor can be the key to saving a stressful relationship.
Why are people skeptical?
Marriage counseling is hard work, and there are no guarantees. It is a non-physical net gain and remains invisible in the public eye, as not many people who see the benefits of marriage counseling talk about their experiences with the world. In the over 2 million marriages held each year, approximately 800,000 of them end in divorce. Both parties need to be willing to put in the effort to attend meetings, learn how to properly communicate with your given issue, and work together to repair what has been broken.
Your marriage counselor is your mediator. We provide an open environment with the right tools to talk things through with your partner, but we can’t achieve that goal unless both parties can hold a discussion without fear, hiding, or attempting to lie. Get in touch with the office of Joel Kuppersmith PhD today if you are seeking a Huntington marriage counselor .
Why Should You Invest in Marriage Counseling?
The earlier you decide to receive marriage counseling, the better it is for your relationship. Couples tend to wait approximately 6 years of unhappiness before seeking help. That is 6 years of festering stress and resentment that takes an ever-growing pile of effort to scrape away. Not only that, but there are any number of reasons why you wish to seek marriage counseling, so your unique situation may require a unique solution. Once you recognize the signs of a relationship issue, schedule an appointment with a Huntington marriage counselor as soon as possible.
What can marriage counseling help with?
- No resolve – Where both parties can never agree on a solution or find themselves in eternal conflict over any number of issues.
- Negative communication – Where one or both partners express themselves in ineffective ways. This can include lying, gaslighting, misinterpreting, or starting emotionally charged discussions. The communication breakdown can stem from insecurity or depression, so it’s important to get the right words out and to mean what you say. Our Huntington marriage counselor can help you to find constructive communication techniques.
- Staying together for the children – We understand that your children are your highest priority. However, children are extremely intuitive, and hiding issues from them may just lead them to notice. Sometimes staying together for the kids is more detrimental than good, and other times all it takes to repair the rift is therapy. Either way, staying together for your children is a misled yet noble effort that requires a third party to see what the situation needs to proceed amicably.
- Roommates – When a couple feels that their communication and intimacy become more of a chore than an active effort
- Extended time apart – If you feel that you or your partner find peace from conflict outside of the home, you are dealing with that conflict in an unhealthy way. Spending time away from home only reinforces that being gone = no conflict. This idea solves nothing about the issue but ignores it until it is no longer relevant, allowing deep-rooted issues to fester under the surface.
- Infidelity – It is very difficult to come back from an affair, but not impossible. There is a lot of commitment and forgiveness necessary in healing this deep wound, so both partners have to be absolutely committed to truthfulness and faithfulness henceforth.
Huntington marriage counselor
If you have any of the issues detailed above or want to discuss with a clinical psychologist your marriage counseling options, contact us today.
Navigating Marriage Throughout your Child’s College Transition
The time has come for your child to leave the nest and head off to college. It’s not only a huge transitional point in their life but for their parent’s lives as well. Having a child go off to college, especially when it’s far from home, can leave parents feeling worried, anxious, and stressed about their well-being. It’s not uncommon to run into some marital problems when dealing with such a hard transition. If you have been facing this same issue in your own family and are in need of a Huntington marriage counselor , contact Dr. Joel Kuppersmith. For over 30 years, Dr. Kuppersmith has been providing a wide range of psychological services, including marital guidance for those going through the college transition. Continue reading to learn more about how seeking a psychologist can help you navigate your marriage throughout this process.
Empty Nest Syndrome
After years of having your entire world revolve around your children’s lives, parents can run into the problem of “Empty Nest Syndrome”. It tends to occur once that dreaded move-out day finally comes. You may begin to feel the following emotions once your child leaves for school:
- A loss of purpose
- Emotional Distress
Dealing with your child being gone not only affects you as an individual but can take a toll on your relationship with your partner as well. Redefining your roles in the household and having more free time for one another may sound like a couple’s dream. Well for some couples, it can be quite the opposite. This vacancy in the house can cause issues to arise and tensions to heighten, leaving you feeling alone in your own marriage. If this is the case, it may be time to seek out the help of a Huntington marriage counselor .
How to Cope
Luckily, there are methods to help keep your marriage afloat and even potentially come out stronger than it was before. A Huntington marriage counselor may inform you that it’s common for parents who have recently sent a child off to college to face some sort of depression. By recognizing that this is a normal part of life, it can help you and your partner understand what you are going through. Being compassionate for one another during this time is a great way to show that you are there for your partner, even through the hard times. By reconnecting and making time for each other, you can reinvigorate the sparks in your marriage.
How can a Huntington Marriage Counselor help?
Though it may be a normal phase of life, these issues should not linger on with your partner. Empty nest syndrome does not have to be the final answer to anyone’s marriage. If you find that you are still having difficulty navigating your marriage even after your child has acclimated to school, consider seeking a psychologist for marital assistance. If you have been searching for a Huntington marriage counselor , schedule an appointment with Dr. Joel Kuppersmith. Through his wide range of services, he can help provide your marriage with the right tools and guidance it needs to get you back on track. So don’t wait, call our office today to schedule an appointment!
How To Cope With A Marriage Filled With Conflict – Ask Our Huntington Marriage Counselor
There is no denying that marriage can be extremely complicated. Marital conflict can result due to a series of events that have been poorly handled. Marital issues can fester to the point that stubbornness, pride, anger, and bitterness prevent effective communication and problem-solving. If you believe you need help and guidance with your conflict-filled marriage, our Huntington Marriage Counselor may be the right fit for you.
- Money: who has control over the money?
- Kids: disagreeing on how strict you should discipline your kids?
- Sex: are you finding issues regarding intimacy?
- Work: are you or your spouse working too much?
- In-laws: are you not getting along with your in-laws?
- Time Commitments: are you making time for one another?
- Ex-Boyfriends or Girlfriends: does it make you uncomfortable that your spouse is still connected with his/her ex on social media?
- Misunderstanding: have you interpreted something the wrong way or been misunderstood?
- Unrealistic Expectations: are your current expectations too high?
- Stern Talk: has your spouse used sarcastic jabs, in public or private, that made you and your friends uncomfortable?
The Good News:
With the help of our Huntington marriage counselor, chances are your marriage can be saved! Having marriage issues is more common than you think. Whether you identify with one or all of the reasons stated above, your marriage is not doomed. The following are several ways to strengthen a marriage before it is too late for you and your spouse:
- Respect your partner: make a list of the most endearing qualities that you admire about your partner.
- Communication is key: it is important for you to share important things with your partner.
- Share financial expectations and budgets: try to agree on a budget and strive to live within those limits.
- Give your partner the right amount of space: allow your partner to have time for themselves and their own friends, while still saving special time for you two to spend together.
- Take care of yourself: it is important to invest time in yourself as well as your partner.
How Can a Marriage Counselor in Huntington NY Help:
Our Huntington Marriage Counselor, Joel Kuppersmith Ph.D., specializes in marriage counseling and is here to help. He has been serving Huntington for over 30 years, and through his experience, he has helped multiple couples with marital conflict. Contact us today to get the help you and your spouse deserve!
Dealing With Emotions Brought About By Infidelity In A Marriage – Help From Huntington Marriage Counselor
Relationships are beautiful, yet they can also be massively challenging. Marriage is perhaps the most complex, wonderful, and difficult to navigate relationship out there. Infidelity within marriage is one issue which can be life-changing, evoking emotions and sentiments that you may be unfamiliar with. Speaking with a professional can be incredibly useful in these situations to gain perspective, clarity, and skills to better navigate the ups and downs of your relationship with your spouse. If you are looking for a Huntington marriage counselor, contact Joel Kuppersmith Ph.D. today.
The aftermath of an affair can trigger unexpected emotions in both spouses. The obvious emotions range from anger to sadness to everything in between. However, one or both spouses may also find themselves experiencing:
- Shame: That you have made a mistake, that something very important has gone wrong.
- Possessiveness: Especially if you decide to separate, it is common to desire closeness with your spouse regardless of what they may have done.
- Relief: Many people may feel relief upon finding out that their partner has been unfaithful if they sensed that something was off for a period of time and were unable to determine the cause.
- Emptiness: A lack of emotion or emptiness often kicks in after an emotional trauma or shock, and will typically end on its own as time passes.
How to deal with these emotions:
Coping with new, strong emotions after infidelity in marriage can be a huge challenge. Seeking marriage counseling in Huntington, NY is an outstanding option for coping with these emotions and communicating with your spouse more effectively. Some tips for dealing with the emotional repercussions of marital infidelity include:
- Don’t fight your feelings; allow yourself to openly feel whatever emotions that come your way.
- Communicate your emotions in some way: write in a journal, speak to a friend, or consider professional help.
- Make time to speak to your spouse one-on-one.
How Huntington Marriage Counselor Can Help:
If you’re looking for a Huntington Marriage Counselor, look no further than Dr. Joel Kuppersmith PhD. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is an experienced clinical psychologist located conveniently on Main Street in Huntington, N.Y. With 30-plus years of experience, Dr. Kuppersmith specializes in marriage counseling and will work with you and your spouse to work through any issues in the best way possible. Call today to schedule an appointment!
Marriage Counseling Long Island Suffolk County
Are you interested in learning more about how Dr. Kuppersmith can help you? Please, contact us through the form below. Please be sure to include your name, email, and a phone. You will receive a confirmation after submitting the form, and we will respond as quickly as possible for your satisfaction.
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Saturday, By Appointment
177 Main Street, Suite 203
Huntington, NY 11743