Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is a licensed psychologist in Huntington, NY who has been in private practice for the past 30 years. His office is conveniently located at 177 Main Street in Huntington.
He is also a psychoanalyst, having received his post-doctoral certificate in psychotherapy and psychoanalysis at the Derner Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies, Adelphi University. He earned his doctoral degree in Psychology at the University of Mississippi, which was followed by a post-doctoral internship offered jointly by Downstate Medical Center and South Beach Psychiatric in Brooklyn and Staten Island.
How To Manage Everyday Stress With The Help of a Psychologist in Huntington, NY
Are you finding yourself stressed out way more than you’d like to be? What if we told you there were plenty of simple ways to decrease your stress levels and help you live a more peaceful and organized lifestyle? Well, our psychologist in Huntington, NY, Joel Kuppersmith Ph.D. can help you accomplish just that.
With these five lifestyle changes, you may find yourself way less stressed than your current state:
- Eat Well – As random as this may sound, having a healthier diet actually does wonders for your stress levels. Start out by limiting your caffeine and alcohol intake, as they can spike your stress levels.
- Exercise – Exercising improves your mood by releasing endorphins into your body. Exercise also allows you to take your mind off your worries and concentrate on something other than what’s causing you to be stressed. Even if you don’t have a lot of time, going on a 30-minute walk can be enough to help reduce your stress.
- Sleep – Most of us believe that we don’t get enough sleep. Some people claim 6 hours or so is all they need, but try to get 7-8 hours of rest each night. With everything else going on in your life, being sleep deprived does not need to be another factor attributing to your stress.
- Breathe – This is a simple yet extremely effective way to relieve stress. When we are stressed, our breath sometimes grows shortened. Try to sit back and breathe in through your nose for 3 seconds and out through the mouth for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise about 5 times or until you are feeling less stressed.
- Avoid Caffeine- Since it is a stimulant, caffeine will actually increase your stress rather than reduce it. Try to swap your caffeinated drinks for water or herbal tea to reduce your stress.
It is important to remember that being stressed at times is only human and sometimes can be hard to control. However, by following these five simple lifestyle changes, they can help reduce your stress and learn how to manage stressful situations better.
If you believe you need more help managing your stress, a psychologist in Huntington, NY can provide you with even more tips to deal with your stress. Additionally, Joel Kuppersmith Ph.D. can help target your stressors and aid your personal situation so that your solution is more effective. Contact us today to get in touch with Joe Kuppersmith Ph.D. to see how he can help you live a more stress-free life!
What is Seasonal Depression? Help From Local Huntington Psychologist
Seasonal depression, also called seasonal affective disorder (SAD), affects many people during the change in seasons. Most cases are present in the fall and winter, while others can also suffer from this in the spring and summer months as well.
SAD, however, is treatable and it can also be preventable before symptoms worsen. If you’re seeking a psychologist in Huntington, NY, then Dr. Joel Kuppersmith can help treat your seasonal depression.
Symptoms of Seasonal Depression:
Generally, those who suffer from winter depression experience symptoms during the late fall and early winter, and those who suffer from summer depression experience symptoms from late spring to early summer. Nonetheless, those who suffer from SAD experience mild symptoms in the beginning and will likely progress further, potentially becoming more severe later on.
Warning signs of SAD
- Feelings of depression that do not subside for a long period of time.
- Having low energy and decreased levels of motivation.
- A loss in interest of activities that were once enjoyed.
- Difficulty sleeping.
- Decreased appetite or clear changes in weight.
- An inability to stay focused.
Causes of Seasonal Depression:
The exact cause of SAD remains unknown yet there are factors that certainly play roles in the development of symptoms, such as:
- Circadian Rhythm –
- Your body’s internal clock could be thrown off by the decreased level of sunlight, causing winter depression.
- Serotonin –
- Serotonin is a brain chemical that affects your mood. Similar to circadian rhythm decreased levels of sunlight could cause a drop in serotonin levels. This serves as a catalyst for feelings of depression
- Melatonin –
- Melatonin is a brain chemical that affects your sleep patterns. It could also experience a decrease in production due to the effects of low level of sunlight. This may impact your normal sleeping patterns.
How can a psychologist in Huntington, NY help?
A psychologist is trained to help people treat their depression symptoms. Dr. Kuppersmith can help by identifying problem areas and then creating a plan to help better improve your conditions. We can assist you by formulating attainable goals and addressing various emotional issues that will help you get to the root of your problem. Additionally, we can help you to manage stress in a healthy way and teach effective coping methods as well.
If you seek a psychologist in Huntington, NY, then Dr. Joel Kuppersmith can help treat your seasonal depression symptoms with proven methods. Contact us today if you’ve been searching for “psychologists in Suffolk” and suffer from SAD and want to get the help you need.
What is PTSD? Treatment From Psychologist in Huntington
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is generally defined as a disorder originating from experiencing a dangerous or shocking event. Sometimes immediately and sometimes months later, a person will still experience trauma from the experience. What is most important to note is that Joel Kuppersmith Ph.D., our psychologist in Huntington, can help manage and potentially put an end to your PTSD.
If you believe you or a loved one may be experiencing PTSD, some symptoms may include:
- Re-Experiencing Symptoms (at least 1)
- Flashbacks – This includes having flashbacks to the event that may include symptoms such as sweating or a racing heart.
- Bad dreams – You may experience nightmares that repeat back to the event.
- Frightening thoughts – Constantly or occasionally thinking back about the details of your trauma.
- Avoidance Symptoms (at least 1)
- Avoiding places that may remind you or take you back to the event.
- Avoiding feelings that may trigger you and take you back to the traumatic event(s).
- Arousal Symptoms (at least 2)
- Getting scared easily.
- Constantly feeling on edge.
- Having a hard time sleeping at night.
- Experiencing angry outbursts.
- Cognition and Mood Symptoms (at least 2)
- Trouble recalling key factors of the event.
- Negative thoughts about the world.
- Feelings of guilt.
- Loss of interest in fun events.
In order to be diagnosed, you must experience these symptoms for at least one month.
After a full evaluation, our psychologist in Huntington will decide what he thinks the best treatment plan is for you. Psychotherapy, also known as “talk” therapy, is usually a good treatment option for those who are suffering from PTSD. This form of treatment can help you rationalize what happened and help you have closure with the event. If you or a loved one are experiencing PTSD, don’t waste your time googling “psychologists in suffolk”, contact our psychologist in Huntington today!
Request An Appointment with a Psychologist in Huntington, New York
Are you interested in learning more about how Dr. Kuppersmith can help you? Please, contact us through the form below. Please be sure to include your name, email, and a phone. You will receive a confirmation after submitting the form, and we will respond as quickly as possible for your satisfaction.
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Saturday, By Appointment
177 Main Street, Suite 203
Huntington, NY 11743