What Are The Signs Of An Unhealthy Marriage?
Marriage is a significant life decision and commitment that most people enter into with the shared goal of making it a happy and healthy union. While it’s perfectly normal for your marriage to have its emotional ebbs and flows, if your marriage is beginning to take a toll on your mental health, it may be time to reevaluate. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith is a psychologist that specializes in Marriage Counseling Suffolk County. Speaking with a professional can help you and your partner find the skills to navigate your relationship better. Continue reading to discover some of the signs of an unhealthy marriage.
Signs of an Unhealthy Marriage
Every marriage is different, and no relationship is perfect. It’s normal for a couple to experience ups and downs, but it’s important to distinguish between problems you are willing to deal with and those you are not. It can become more challenging to address issues if they start snowballing. If you are concerned that you are in an unhealthy marriage, Marriage Counseling Suffolk County can help you and your spouse navigate your issues. Here are some warning signs that your relationship is moving into an unhealthy space:
- You’re not spending meaningful time together.
- One spouse starts controlling the other.
- You’ve stopped fighting entirely.
- You’re staying in the marriage to minimize negative impacts on your family.
- You’re seeking support from others instead of your spouse.
- You do not feel heard.
- There is a lack of physical intimacy and affection.
It can be overwhelming to realize that your marriage is not the same as it used to be. More often than not, the difference between a rough spot and the end is a couple’s willingness to work through their issues. If you and your partner are interested in salvaging the relationship, both of you need to make a concerted effort. Luckily, you don’t have to go about this on your own. Marriage Counseling Suffolk County can help you and your partner communicate better and work through your issues.
Contact Dr. Kuppersmith – Marriage Counseling Suffolk County
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith provides Marriage Counseling Suffolk County to help couples strengthen their relationship and overcome issues. Working together with the help of an outside perspective can help you create opportunities for impactful change. Contact Dr. Joel Kuppersmith today to schedule an appointment!
What Should I Expect During My Marriage Counseling Session?
Admitting you and your spouse both require marriage counseling is a vital and courageous step to take in one’s relationship. While you may feel awkward about airing your dirty laundry out to someone outside of your relationship, this process can be the kick-starter towards starting an open dialogue that will guide you towards a resolution. If you are nervous about going through premarital counseling in Woodbury, Dr. Joel Kuppersmith would like to shed some light on what you can expect.
Be Ready To Be Uncomfortable:
During your first session of premarital counseling in Woodbury, it is completely normal to feel unsure about this process. However, you should not let these feelings of uneasiness stop you from reaping the benefits that counseling can bring for you and everyone involved. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith will be able to work through any unsettled feelings present in the first session so you and your spouse can push through and hopefully start seeing results.
Prepare For Questions:
One of the best ways Dr. Joel Kuppersmith will be able to learn more about your relationship is by asking simple questions. Be ready for the first session to primarily consist of you and your spouse discussing a variety of topics. These questions will help our counselor better understand your relationship, as he may ask about:
- Specific aspects of your childhood.
- Where you and your spouse met.
- When you and your spouse began to experience problems.
- Goals you both are looking to achieve through premarital counseling in Woodbury.
Discussing What Brought You Here:
Along with the questions mentioned above, you will also be asked about the problems that led you to begin a search for counseling. Every couple’s reasoning for counseling will be different, but no reason is outside of the realm of getting to the underlying issue. Common problems experienced by most couples can include:
- Experiencing intimacy issue.
- Going through the same fight or disagreement over and over again.
- Never fighting and ignoring problems that arise.
Setting goals based upon your relationship is something that will also happen during your first session of premarital counseling in Woodbury. It is important to remember that your relationship is always changing, so the goals in your first appointment can be drastically different than the ones set at a later date. No matter the goals, Dr. Joel Kuppersmith will help you reach them happily and healthily.
Contact Marriage Counseling Suffolk County Today!
For over 30 years, Dr. Joel Kuppersmith has been serving the community through his private practice. He is well experienced in premarital counseling in Woodbury, so you can trust you’ll be in good hands during his sessions. If you and your spouse have decided your relationship has come to the point where marriage counseling is necessary, contact us today for assistance!
What Do You Do In Couples Therapy?
Benefits of Couple’s Therapy:
Everyone knows that relationships could be a lot of hard work. Every relationship has its ups and downs, and a fair share of problems. It all comes down to the extent of the problems and if you can sit down with your partner and agree to fix them together. It is very hard to take that first step and admitting that both you and your partner need help. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith offers Marriage Counseling Suffolk County Today that will help make you as comfortable as possible when you speak to our professional therapist about the problems that you and your partner are experiencing. We work closely with you and listen to your problems, helping to come up with a solution. We help you work through common relationship problems, allowing you to succeed and continue growing within your relationship.
Marriage Counseling Suffolk County
Couples therapy is not just for romantically involved or married couples. Couples therapy can be administered between friendships, work-related relationships, or parental relationships. Any type of relationship can benefit from couple’s therapy. Marriage Counseling Suffolk County Today can figure out what is causing the problems to arise between you and your partner/associate. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith goes above and beyond to provide you with the best services to ensure that your relationship is getting the help it needs. Taking the step to go to couple’s therapy is beneficial in more ways than one.
- Communicating better.
- A stronger and deeper connection.
- Making your partner feel loved.
- Falling in love all over again.
- Intimacy (Physical and Emotional).
- Looking into the future instead of thinking of the past.
What To Expect During a Session?
At Joel Kuppersmith’s Office, a psychologist offering Marriage Counseling Suffolk County, you will meet with one of Long Island’s most highly qualified therapists. The therapist will sit you and your partner down and have you explain issues within your relationship and setbacks you are both experiencing. The therapist will go over goals that you and your partner have for your relationship and assign “homework” for each of you to do after every session to ensure both you and your partner are putting in the effort. If you are ready to take the first step and save your relationship, schedule an appointment with one of Long Island’s premier marriage counseling therapists today!
Is Marriage Counseling Effective?
To have and to hold, in sickness and in health. The person that you marry is who you choose to spend the rest of your life with, working through life’s difficult moments together as a team. However, sometimes that bond can be tested and broken by seemingly insurmountable issues of financial, social, stressful, or relationship-based nature. Immediately going for divorce is never a sound decision. Not only does taking that leap instinctively leave you woefully unprepared for any proceedings to come, and leaves your family and children at risk of turmoil, but also negates any future possibility of fixing these issues. Luckily, the methods of Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT) used in marriage counseling are now roughly 75 percent effective. Starting Marriage Counseling Suffolk County Today can be the key to saving a stressful relationship.
Why Are People Skeptical?
Marriage counseling is hard work, and there are no guarantees. It is a non-physical net gain and remains invisible in the public eye, as not many people who see the benefits of marriage counseling talk about their experiences with the world. In the over 2 million marriages held each year, approximately 800,000 of them end in divorce. Both parties need to be willing to put in the effort to attend meetings, learn how to properly communicate with your given issue, and work together to repair what has been broken. Your marriage counselor is your mediator. We provide an open environment with the right tools to talk things through with your partner, but we can’t achieve that goal unless both parties can hold a discussion without fear, hiding, or attempting to lie.
The earlier you decide to receive marriage counseling, the better it is for your relationship. Couples tend to wait approximately 6 years of unhappiness before seeking help. That is 6 years of festering stress and resentment that takes an ever-growing pile of effort to scrape away. Not only that, but there are any number of reasons why you wish to seek marriage counseling, so your unique situation may require a unique solution. Once you recognize the signs of a relationship issue, schedule an appointment for Marriage Counseling Suffolk County Today as soon as possible.
What Can Marriage Counseling Help With?
- No resolve – Where both parties can never agree on a solution or find themselves in an eternal conflict over any number of issues.
- Negative communication – Where one or both partners express themselves in ineffective ways. This can include lying, gaslighting, misinterpreting, or starting emotionally charged discussions. The communication breakdown can stem from insecurity or depression, so it’s important to get the right words out and to mean what you say. Marriage Counseling Suffolk County can help you to find constructive communication techniques.
- Staying together for the children – We understand that you children are your highest priority. However, children are extremely intuitive, and hiding issues from them may just lead them to notice. Sometimes staying together for the kids is more detrimental than good, and other times all it takes to repair the rift is therapy. Either way, staying together for your children is a misled yet noble effort that requires a third party to see what the situation needs to proceed amicably.
- Roommates – When a couple feels that their communication and intimacy become more of a chore than an active effort.
- Extended time apart – If you feel that you or your partner finds peace from conflict outside of the home, you are dealing with that conflict in an unhealthy way. Spending time away from home only reinforces that being gone = no conflict. This idea solves nothing about the issue but ignores it until it is no longer relevant, allowing deep rooted issues to fester under the surface.
- Affairs – It is very difficult to come back from an affair, but not impossible. There is a lot of commitment and forgiveness necessary in healing this deep wound, so both partners have to be absolutely committed to truthfulness and faithfulness henceforth.
Contact Dr. Kuppersmith – Marriage Counseling Suffolk County
If you have any of the issues detailed above or want to discuss with a clinical psychologist your marriage counseling options in Huntington NY, contact us today.
Signs That You Need Marriage Therapy
Relationships are complex and difficult. Sometimes you need maintenance to help keep it healthy. Marriage therapy is one of the best ways to work on your relationship with your partner while also evolving yourself. Marriage Counseling Suffolk County can help pinpoint the signs that you and your partner require therapy. Here are some of the following:
- Being indifferent to the relationship’s needs: This can mean multiple things, such as not caring when the other is upset, not wanting to spend time together, rolling over issues, and not having your voice heard.
- All forms of communication are negative: It is fantastic to show passion in your relationship. However, too much can be out of control and can have you and your partner struggling to get along because every conversation morphs into an argument. This can lead to you being overly defensive and sensitive to more simple forms of communication.
- Lies and keeps secrets: This is a big one. Keeping a secret from your spouse can be detrimental to a marriage. Of course, there is room for little white lies; those are acceptable at times. However, if you find yourself keeping a big secret to yourself and not telling your partner, trust is a big issue in the relationship. A relationship without trust cannot last.
Recognize The Signs
Those are the most common signs that a marriage needs counseling. But there can be more. The often forgotten intimacy aspect of the relationship can be overlooked at times. All couples go through phases where intimacy is not at the level it once was in the marriage, which is normal. It is not a good sign when you struggle to be intimate at all. Healthy sex and physical life is an important cog in a happy marriage and sometimes needs a little bit of help in counseling.
Marriage Counseling Suffolk County
If you find yourself thinking that your significant other is constantly in the wrong in your arguments, chances are you view them as the bad guy in the relationship. You need to remember that you and your spouse are a team and have to face challenges together, not separate. This can especially happen if you find yourselves engaging in the same argument, time, and time again. Often it comes down to a common denominator, and that is respect. Marriage counseling on Long Island can help you determine which relationship problems are solvable and which ones keep perpetuating. Often these issues stem from emotional baggage in either previous relationships or relationships while growing up. If you and your partner have been experiencing some of the issues previously stated, then we recommended Marriage Counseling Suffolk County.
Effects That Arguing Has on Children
Children are the most impressive beings on the planet. So many events that happen during a child’s life have an impact on their adult life. Their ability to absorb through beautiful in and of itself can be very hard on them if they witness their parents’ discord. Children pay close attention to their parent’s emotions, so when parents exhibit destructive behavior, it can severely impact their children.
It is important how the conflict is expressed and resolved. When children see their parents resolve issues in front of them, it can help them grow up to be better off. Here are some of the destructive habits parents should avoid when in the presence of their children.
- Verbal aggression, such as name-calling, insults, and threats of leaving.
- Physical aggression such as hitting and pushing
- Silent aggression such as withdrawing, sulking, and avoidance
- Passive-aggressive behavior such as giving in to something that may look like a solution but is not
Marriage Counseling Suffolk County can help if you have found yourself in one of these scenarios. Specialists with years of experience can help families who are experiencing conflict and help children suffering from anxiety and hopelessness due to conflict within the household.
Talk To Your Child
Children do not always verbalize what is bothering them, so you should be on the lookout for behavior that exhibits how your son or daughter is feeling. Some things to be on the lookout for include:
- Aggressive behavior is exhibited at school and or in the house.
- Sleep disturbances and health problems such as headaches and stomachaches and symptoms of colds
- Inability to pay attention. This can create a learning problem while at school.
- Trouble forming healthy, balanced relationships.
- Impacted relationships with siblings
Children as young as six months old can register their parents’ distress. When the parents create a tough environment, the children can feel it even without words. Studies have found that children can have an unregulated level of cortisol, a hormone created from stress. The study discovered that children who grew up in poorly functioning households are more likely to either have high cortisol levels or had abnormally low levels and blunted. These differences in levels can lead to a litany of child problems as they grow up into adulthood.
Contact Dr. Kuppersmith
Kids’ abilities to assess conflict analysts are much higher than what parents give them credit for. They detect emotion is much more refined than what parents might guess. Kids can tell when the problem that has caused the fight has been resolved and just not made out to be for the child’s benefit. Though this is very tough on the child, having to work out the problem behind closed doors and get a real resolution will not go unnoticed. If your child has been experiencing conflict in the household, then consider Marriage Counseling Suffolk County with Joel Kuppersmith. Arguing with your partner is never easy and it makes things even more difficult when it begins to affect your children. Please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Kuppersmith with questions.