What Are The Signs For Depression?
Watching someone go through depression can be tough to handle. Spotting the signs of depression early is essential, as it allows the person being affected to receive the treatment they need before the condition worsens. At Dr. Joel Kuppersmith’s office, our psychologist in Huntington NY is well versed in this area. We’ll help you understand the symptoms at play, then work towards creating a plan that helps get you or your loved ones’ depression under control.
Loss Of Interest
The first sign of depression that our psychologist in Huntington NY, warns to watch for is a loss of interest. Depression can quickly have a relatively acting person becoming withdrawn. When this happens to you or a loved one, it’s essential to seek treatment right away. Examples of the everyday things that those dealing with depression can lose interest in may include:
- Going out with friends.
- Sexual intercourse.
Another telltale sign of the development of depression is the onset of fatigue problems. This can happen in a variety of ways. Depression can lead to increased fatigue levels, leaving you incapable of doing any of your everyday activities due to excessive sleeping. However, depression can also lead to insomnia, even leading to fatigue and a lack of energy.
Anxiety and depression are often two conditions that travel together hand in hand. This can manifest itself in many ways, and it is essential to recognize the warning signs to be able to seek help. It commonly presents itself in the following ways:
- Nervousness, restlessness, or feeling tense.
- Rapid heart rate or breathing.
- Feelings of danger, panic, or dread.
- Inability to focus on anything other than what you’re worried about.
Additional Depression Signs
There are no shortages of signs that can point towards depression. Each person experiences depression differently, meaning not everyone will display the same symptoms. In addition to what was already mentioned, our psychologist in Huntington NY, also says to watch for the following:
- Changes in appetite and weight.
- Uncontrollable emotions.
- Having a hopeless outlook on life.
- An increasing fixation on death.
Contact Psychologist in Huntington NY
Living with depression can be extremely difficult. While sometimes it can seem like there is no way out, our team at Dr. Joel Kuppersmith’s office wants to assure you that is not the case. Working with our psychologist in Huntington NY, you can find your depression can be managed and eliminated. To schedule your appointment, be sure to contact us today.
How Can Exercise Benefit Your Mental Health?
There is no denying that physical activity is good for your body. But did you know that exercise can also be beneficial to your mental health? Exercise can make a difference in your mood and help combat depression and anxiety. At Dr. Joel Kuppersmith’s office, our psychologist in Huntington NY will work with you to understand your mental health and develop a plan to improve your status.
Exercise for Mental Health
When struggling with depression or anxiety, the last thing on your mind is exercise. It’s not easy to get inspired to start exercising. Once you find the motivation to start exercising, it can make a tremendous difference in your mental health. The physical benefits of exercise include improving your physique and longevity, but that’s not necessarily what motivates people to keep active. Those who regularly exercise tend to have more energy and feel more positive about themselves and their lives. Here are some of the ways that exercise promotes positive psychological well-being:
- It can distract you from intrusive negative thoughts and emotions. Exercise can take your mind off of your problems and redirect your feelings.
- Exercise can decrease stress hormones. Cortisol is a stress hormone. Exercise can boost endorphins, which are your body’s natural stress and pain relievers.
- Exercise can improve your confidence. If you’re unhappy with your physique and want to make a change, exercise can help you tone up. This can boost your mood and confidence.
- Exercise can help lower your reactivity to stress. A regular exercise program can help you cope with everyday stress and reduce the physiological effects of future stress.
- Maintaining good physical health can lead to better mental health. Illness can cause stress, and stress can also cause illness. Exercising can improve your longevity and strengthen your immune system.
Before starting any new exercise program, it is essential to consult with your doctor to ensure you do it safely. If you are struggling with your mental health, exercise can be a great way to combat some of the symptoms and feelings you may experience. Talking with an experienced psychologist in Huntington NY and maintaining an exercise routine can potentially improve your overall mental health and wellness.
Contact Our Psychologist in Huntington NY
It can be difficult to take that first step in improving your physical and mental health. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith will help you find ways to manage your mental health issues. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment with our psychologist in Huntington NY.
How Does Sleep Affect Your Mental Health?
Often, sleep and mental health are two elements that go hand in hand. Experts suggest that adults should receive over seven hours of sleep each night. Failure to do so can lead to some unpleasant results. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith, a psychologist in Huntington NY, is certified in the treatment of sleep disorders. If you wait too long to face your sleep problems, you could put yourself at risk for increased mental health issues.
Common Sleep Disorders:
Focusing on getting enough sleep should always be an utmost priority. When you fail to do so, there are more issues you can face besides feeling tired the next day. As an experienced psychologist in Huntington NY, Dr. Kuppersmith wants to stress the importance of the relationship between sleep issues and your mental health. If you find yourself dealing with the below disorders, he will work with you to help eliminate them:
- Sleep Apnea.
- Restless leg syndrome.
Increased Levels Of Depression:
Those who have dealt with depression can speak to how devastating this condition can be over the long haul. Sleep issues can often play a pivotal role in the development of depression. Studies have shown that 65% to 90% of people diagnosed with major depression also deal with sleep disturbances. As a psychologist in Huntington NY, Dr. Joel Kuppersmith will look to see if a sleep issue has brought on your depression, then work on ways to eliminate this problem.
Just like with depression, a lack of sleep can lead to you facing an onslaught of anxiety disorders. Even if you’re already facing an anxiety disorder, sleep problems will only worsen the symptoms of your condition. Typically, it will also decrease the likelihood of recovery.
Sleep And Stress:
Issues with sleep and stress can end by starting a cycle that is difficult to overcome. If you experience a lack of sleep, you’re more likely to experience increased levels of stress throughout the day. In turn, if you are unable to find healthy ways to manage your stress levels, falling asleep at night becomes a difficult task, which starts the whole process over again. Breaking the cycle can be difficult to do on your own, but working with an experienced psychologist in Huntington can help. Dr. Kuppersmith will help teach you healthy ways to manage your stress, allowing you to get the sleep you desperately need.
Contact Psychologist in Huntington NY Today!
Dr. Joel Kuppersmith has over 30 years of experience as a psychologist in Huntington NY. With a wealth of knowledge at his disposal, you can trust him to help address any sleep problems you’re currently facing. To receive the help you’ve been looking for, and to learn more about how sleep affects your mental health, contact us today!
Working Through Anxiety
In life, people will inevitably experience some anxiety. There are many triggers, such as having a big speech in class, presenting a new idea at work, taking an important test, or meeting your significant other’s family. Mostly the nerves tend to die down once you’ve decided that test or made that speech though. On the other hand, the worrying feelings don’t go away so fast for others. They can feel anxiety before, during, and even after doing things out of their comfort zone.
Psychologist In Huntington NY Can Help With Anxiety
Sometimes, this chronic anxiety can be so severe that it keeps people from doing the things they love. These intrusive thoughts can cause extreme feelings of tension, worrisome concerns, and even increased blood pressure. When these fears interfere with your everyday activities you know, it is time to seek some help. Dr. Joel Kuppersmith, a psychologist in Huntington NY, will be able to walk you through the steps of easing your anxieties!
Common Symptoms of Anxiety:
Before seeking the help of a psychologist in Huntington NY, it’s important to be able to recognize some of the symptoms you’ve been experiencing. Being more aware can help you and your psychologist work towards freeing your mind and body from the negative effects of anxiety. Let’s discuss some of the common symptoms of an anxiety disorder:
- Excessive sweating. Feeling like you are inclosed and hot.
- Feeling very tense and nervous in a social or non-social setting.
- Increased heart rate. Rapid heart rate is another very common symptom.
- Trembling can be increased depending on the situation.
- Feeling very tired and drained even with the right amount of sleep.
- Difficulty controlling the feeling of being very worried.
- Decreased amount of rest you are having each night. Feeling very restless during the night.
- Breathing very fast and not being able to calm yourself down.
Now that we’ve gone over some of the symptoms you’re probably experiencing, it’s time to point out the different types of anxiety. The following list includes the five major types of anxiety you may want to visit a psychologist in Huntington for:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Characterized by experiencing chronic anxiety
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Characterized by unwanted thoughts, and repetitive behaviors
- Panic Disorder
- Characterized by unexpected/repeated episodes of fear, as well as physical symptoms
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Developed post exposure to a frightening event in which bodily harm was threatened or experienced
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Characterized by intense anxiety and self-consciousness in typical social situations.
Contact Psychologist in Huntington NY!
Seeking help from a psychologist in Huntington is the first step that you can make when it comes to living a healthier lifestyle. Being able to do the things that you want to do without worrying whether your anxiety will control you is a liberating feeling. Luckily, Dr. Joel Kuppersmith, a Psychologist in Huntington NY, has over 30 years of psychological services and psychoanalytic therapy services that can help. To learn more about how you can take the next steps towards improving yourself, contact Dr. Joel Kuppersmith today!
What’s The Source Of Your Insomnia?
Despite popular belief, the majority of us feature plenty of similarities that we all share, including the inevitable need to sleep. However, this action can be easier said than done, as some patients increasingly struggle with insomnia. If you have insomnia, or just have trouble falling asleep in general, consider seeking assistance and reaping the benefits of a Psychologist in Huntington NY. Psychotherapy may initially sound intimidating, but before you go dismissing this blog, remember that assistance can occasionally develop from the most unlucky of sources. If you have exhausted almost every solution to get rest, why not give psychotherapy a try?
There are numerous argumentations as to why your sleep cycle may be out of sync. These catalysts can range from what you ingest, irregular schedule, what troubles you, etc. Here are a few reasons in further detail:
- Medical Conditions – There are quite a bit of medical conditions that could potentially lead to the development of insomnia. These can include the following:
- Sinus allergies.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
- Chronic pain.
- Low back pain.
- Depression – Insomnia has been shown to lead to depression and is also a symptom of depression too. Unfortunately, both are not an ideal combination, which can lead to this vicious cycle that feeds off of each other. Insomnia does not help with your mental state which can have a negative effect on an individual.
- Alcohol – Alcohol serves as a depressant, contributing to insomnia and making ordinary sleeping routines an arduous task.
Diagnosing insomnia can be easily identified, even without the assistance of physicians. At some point in your life, you have probably experienced a prolonged period of time in which you were unable to sleep. For resolution, consider consulting with a trained specialist who utilizes a Psychologist in Huntington NY, such as Dr. Joel Kuppersmith. Symptoms can include the following conditions:
- Drowsiness throughout the day.
- Weariness and an achy feeling.
- Anger stemming from nowhere.
- Experiencing trouble with memory & focusing.
How Psychologist in Huntington NY Can Help With Treatment:
There is no overnight fix for insomnia, it takes time and effort to correct the complication. Fortunately, there are various medical and holistic solutions that can be employed to help treat insomnia. These solutions may help you but if your efforts are futile, consider contacting Dr. Joel Kuppersmith for psychologist in Huntington NY. Treatment options, as opposed to psychologist in Huntington NY, can include the following:
- Relaxation Techniques – These techniques focus on your mind, body, and breath. Breathing techniques and meditation exercises go hand and hand, incorporating methods that help calm your mind and body. This allows you to eventually relax and go to sleep.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – There are multiple ways to undertake CBT either with a trained professional face to face or with someone online. CBT helps “reprogram” your brain and how you feel about sleep. How long this therapy takes varies from person to person.
- Stimulus Control – Essentially this technique focuses on having the patient get out of bed and move around a bit before going back to sleep. Typically, this method only works if you have been lying down for longer than twenty minutes and are still unable to sleep.
If you’re struggling with insomnia, consider the benefits that Psychologist in Huntington NY can provide. Contact Dr. Joel Kuppersmith and schedule an appointment today!
What are Personality Disorders?
If you or someone you know suffers from a personality disorder and is seeking the help of a psychologist in Huntington NY, contact the office of Joel Kuppersmith today for more information!
Personality Disorders Defined
Personality disorders are a group of mental illnesses that cause unhealthy thoughts and behavior patterns. The “personality” in the term personality disorder refers to a set of traits, patterns, and social behaviors that characterize a person. Those who struggle with personality disorders have difficulty socializing with others and are unable to adjust to life changes. Each personality disorder is different, but sometimes personality disorders share similar symptoms. Some types of disorders become harder to distinguish as you get older, which is why it’s important to get an accurate diagnosis so that you have proper treatments available to you. If you or a loved one is having trouble because of a personality disorder, contact Dr.Joel Kuppersmith. Dr. Kuppersmith is a certified psychologist in Huntington NY who has more than 25 years of experience.
Causes of Personality Disorders
Personality disorders are caused by several social and genetic reasons. Certain personality traits can be passed down from generation to generation. There’s no guarantee that genes passed on from a relative can cause personality disorders, it just increases the chances. The environment you grow up in can also cause personality disorders. The events that occurred and the relationships you have can alter your mental health and influence personality disorders. Some important risk factors to be aware of include:
- Abusive or unstable relationships with family members.
- Family history of personality disorders.
- Traumatic life event or experience.
Symptoms of Personality Disorders
People who suffer from personality disorders may feel like their negative thoughts and behaviors are normal. They begin to justify and rationalize their experiences and future actions. Some signs may include highly impulsive behavior, mood swings, and inappropriate emotional reactions. Other potential warning signs may include the following:
- Unstable relationships.
- Difficulty maintaining a job or school grades.
- Acting overly sensitive and emotional.
Types of Disorders
Personality disorders are grouped into three different types of groups. These groups categorize disorders based on certain behaviors. Group A identifies people with unusual or odd behavior, Group B with dramatic behavior, and Group C with anxious behavior. Some of these disorders include the following:
- Schizoid Personality Disorder.
- Paranoid Personality Disorder.
- Schizotypal Personality Disorder.
- Antisocial Personality Disorder.
- Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
- Avoidant Personality Disorder.
- Dependent Personality Disorder.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder.
Living with a personality disorder or knowing someone with a personality disorder can be stressful, but certain treatments can help. The earlier you get treatment, the more you have room for improvement. Mental healthcare professionals can get you feeling better. Since personality disorders are complicated, it’s better to find a professional who has experience in treating this condition.
Psychologist in Huntington NY
People who ignored the symptoms of personality disorders can cause serious life-altering problems and can become worse without treatment. If you or a loved one is showing signs of personality disorder, contact Dr. Joel Kuppersmith today. Dr. Kuppersmith is an experienced psychologist in Huntington NY who offers his patients psychoanalytic therapy and other psychological services.